ASSUMPTION MONASTERY CHURCH
Neeleeswaram, Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly
History
Annals of the Assumption Church:
It was Rev. Fr. John Berchmans (Sr.), the first Provincial of the S.H. Province of CMI congregation who took the initiative to start a monastery at Neeleeswaram. The plot where the monastery stands today was bought on the 19th of December 1953. The foundation stone for the monastery was laid by Rev. Fr. Maurus, the then Prior General of CMI Congregation, on the 12th of June1954. The foundation stone of the monastery chapel was laid by Mar Joseph Parecattil, the then Archbishop of Ernakulam on 8th December 1956. The chapel was blessed on August 14, 1959. The first superior, Fr. Kurian Palackal along with Fr. Patrick Parackal constructed the present church and the monastery. On Feb.9th 1976 Mar. Joseph Pareckattil elevated this monastery chapel to a parish church. The first vicar was Fr. Jose Padayatty.

The Christ the King and the Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara chapels were built in 1974 and 1990 respectively. In 1978 a cemetery was built and it was re-constructed into the present cellular form in 1999. On August 12th 2000 Cardinal Mar Varkey Vithayathil, the Major Archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly, elevated this parish to an independent parish.